Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pirate Day

It was Saturday morning...July 3rd.  Alexa and I started the morning with a movie.  Peter Pan: Return to Neverland.  Okay, I can't say I really watched the movie but I laid on the couch with her while she watched it and I caught a few more minutes of shut eye. 

Once the movie was over, we started our own adventure.  I broke out the newspaper and we made our very own pirate hats.  Then we created a treasure map.  I found some loose change in my purse and put it in a plastic container and hid it outside.

Off we went, donned in our pirate hats and our treasure map in hand.  We strolled around the dark, mysterious, metallic pond before making our way through the hollyhock jungle.  Once we fought our way past the giant killer bees we thought we were in the clear.  Boy were we wrong.  Alexa took a bad step and got caught in some serious quick sand.  It took everything I had to pull her out.  We were exhausted and by no means were we close to finding our treasure.  Climbing the rocky mountain side was probably the easiest part of our journey.  Alexa is quite the skilled climber.  We were getting closer.  Just one more obstacle and we were safe...the alligator swamp.  Thankfully those little buggers were sleeping so we were able to jump right over them.  We had made it.  Now, to find where the "X" marked the spot.  It seemed like it would be so easy after all we had already gone through.  It was Alexa that found the "X" and the buried treasure. 

It was a great day.  We had a few more treasure hunts that Alexa navigated us through...then we were off to spend time with friends and family throughout the 4th of July weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment